Saturday, April 29, 2006

Do You Want A Soda With That Protest?

I will be on strike in honor of the national protest in support of illegal immigration. I will boycott any business that closes today because their staff fails to show up for work. It is somewhat logical to conclude that any such business should be visited tomorrow by the INS to make sure all their workers are properly documented. I suspect, however, that in my heavily Latino neighborhood, few businesses will be closed.

That having been said (not entirely seriously), it should be a great embarrassment to Mexico - a terminal third-world country - that so many of its citizen's flee to "El Norte" in order to have a future. Perhaps closing the border will encourage Mexico to get its own house in order - and maybe pigs will sprout wings and fly. Few things would make me happier than to be proved wrong on that last point.